There can be several reasons why Syncta and QuickBooks Desktop aren't sharing information. This article walks you through the most common troubleshooting suggestions. Click on one of the following links to go directly to the applicable section below:
QuickBooks is only available for existing customers.
You must have QuickBooks Desktop 2013 or newer to connect with Syncta.
You must be logged into QuickBooks as an Administrator to establish this initial connection with Syncta.
My Connection to QuickBooks Desktop Isn't Working
Web Connector is the tool that allows Syncta and QuickBooks to share information. In order for QuickBooks Desktop and Syncta to sync information, Web Connector must be running!
1. Check to see if Web Connector is open in the "system tray" of your desktop, which is located in the lower right corner of your desktop.
2. If you do not see this icon, open QuickBooks Desktop.
3. Select the File menu, and then select Update Web Services.
4. When the Web Connector window opens, check the following:
The syncta application is checked.
The Auto-Run box is checked.
Every-Min is set to 1.
5. When you are finished, click Hide to leave Web Services open in your desktop's system tray.
Web Connector Open Error
If you see the following error message when opening QuickBooks Web Connector, it means that your company file is not open in QuickBooks.
1. Click OK to close the popup, and then open your company file in QuickBooks.
2. Re-open Web Connector and continue as usual.
Web Connector Unique Owner ID/File ID Required
If you see the following error message when opening QuickBooks Web Connector, it means that your Owner ID is not unique and needs to be updated.
1. Browse to the folder that contains the downloaded QuickBooks Web Connector file.
2. Open the file with the Notepad app or something similar, and then find the line that shows <OwnerID>.
3. Change one number in the Owner ID to a different number. For example, if the first number is 1, change it to 2 or 3.
4. Save your changes, ensuring that the filename extension still shows .qwc.
5. Open QuickBooks, and then double-click on the QuickBooks Web Connector file to open it.
Web Connector Abort Error
If you have QuickBooks open and see an "abort" error in Web Connector, it is likely because you are not running QuickBooks as an Administrator.
1. If you see the following error in red in Web Connector, click the link below it for more information.
2. If you see "administrator" in the message, this means you need to be running QuickBooks as an Administrator.
3. Log out of QuickBooks and the log back in as an Administrator.
Customer Records Are Not Syncing
If you notice that customer records created in QuickBooks are not syncing with customer records in Syncta, it is most likely because required information is missing in QuickBooks or it does not match between the two systems. Here are some things to note about customer records:
For a match to occur, the Name field in Syncta must be an exact match with the Company Name field in QuickBooks. Pay attention to spaces, periods, name order, etc. For example, Nick Brown vs. Brown, Nick.
If Syncta doesn't find an exact match between these fields, Syncta creates a new customer record using the QuickBooks customer name. If this occurs, there may be two records of the same customer that contain the same information. For example, Jane Marshall and Marshall, Jane.
If there are duplicate records in either system, you need to update one customer record and delete the other.
Use the following instructions to sync a customer record between QuickBooks and Syncta.
1. Select Administration from the navigation menu, and then select Invoicing Options.
2. On the Invoicing Options page, click View QuickBooks Data.
3. Click the blue Customers link.
4. Look for entries in the Syncta Customer column that are blank and do not contain a customer name. This is an indication that the customer in QuickBooks is not synced to a customer in Syncta. You need to correct the customer record in QuickBooks and then re-sync again in Syncta.
5. After you have identified the customer record that you want to fix, click Sync to Syncta.
6. If there is an issue, an error message similar to the following example appears. This means that specific information is missing in the QuickBooks record.
7. In QuickBooks, make sure Company Name is filled in, and at least one of the following is also filled in:
Main Phone (This must be filled in before you fill in a Work Phone number; otherwise, the sync will not work)
Invoice/Bill To Address: Street, City/Town, State/Province, ZIP code (ALL of these fields are required)
8. Update the customer information in QuickBooks as needed, and then click OK.
9. Make sure that the QuickBooks Web Connector is running successfully (see above for more information).
10. On the QuickBooks Data page in Syncta, click Sync to Syncta again to sync the records.
If the sync was successful, you will see a confirmation message at the top of the page.